All four motor mounts done!
 
I didn’t take as many pictures as I should have today. I mostly only have completed pictures. But let me start with my story at the beginning. First I took the stock front 2.2 Omni motor mount, and using my Sawzall, I cut the boxed end off of it. The part with the rubber isolator in it (which you may or may not be able to tell from the above picture, I filled with windshield urethane to make it a bit of a solid mount. -- I did that a long time ago). At the time, I was thinking I’d have to get some square steel, like a 2”x1” stock that I could weld to the back of this mount. I spent a good bit of time digging through my shed trying to find some kind of scrap metal that might do the job without having to buy anything. No luck. So I set the mount aside and started working on the shifter install. I got the auto shifter removed, and the cable pulled out when I decided to mess with some ideas again. That’s when I grabbed the other half of the Neon mount, that I had already decided I couldn’t use. First I pounded out it’s rubber vibration isolator. Then I used the Sawzall to cut off the rings of steel that go around that isolator. This cleared up some space on the mount so that I could flip it around backwards. Next I had to modify my core support a bit. There’s a lip that hangs down from it. I needed a portion of that lip removed. Out came the Sawzall again. This may have weakened my core support a bit, but I think with the solid bobble out back, it should be just fine, they’ll support each other.
Now I was able to get that Neon bracket up against my core support, backwards, with it’s original 3rd bolt position hanging just about right where it needed to be to hold the piece of Omni 2.2 front mount I had cut free earlier. I spent a bit of time with the bench grinder grinding all the paint off the surfaces I was going to weld to. Oh, and I also pounded the rubber mount center out of square motor mount part. I didn’t want to set the rubber/urethane on fire. I’ve been told that the fumes windshield urethane gives off when it gets too hot or burns are EXCEPTIONALLY toxic.. Fun! So I grabbed my trustly little Arc welder, and went out to the driveway (weather was outstanding today!) to do some welding. I’m getting better at holding an arc, and not just getting the rod stuck and turning it into a glowing rod from hell. I actually think this mount will stay attached to where I welded it. Time and driving will tell.
Let’s go to the pictures I DO have now...
All 4 motor mounts done!
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Here are three shots of the mount before I put it up in place on the car. Phear my mad welding skillz, yo! haha.. I left just enough of the original Omni 2.2 mount metal around the square so that I could weld to it without the weld blocking my ability to remove and install the replaceable square rubber isolator.
Once I had the mount all welded up, I bolted it to the engine, then swung it up to make contact with the core support. Once up there I marked the holes, and proceeded to drill bolt holes in the core support. I used rather long bolts that pass all the way through the core support. I used something similar to fender washers on top.
Here are the two bolts from above. You’re probably thinking “What a bafoon, he didn’t even drill the holes evenly”. Well you’re half right. The holes are not even. If you look at the top of this picture you can see that the bracket isn’t even either. For some reason, the Neon motor mount is at an angle, rather than straight on. I’m not real sure why Ma Mopar did that, but I’m sure they had a reason. Either way, I’m not about to try to change the way it was designed.
Here’s a good shot of the mutilation I did to the core support, as well as the two bolts I ran through the core support to hold this motor mount. I had to remove that lip of metal from the core support to be able to hang this motor mount the way I did. The cut is not straight at all, the Sawzall isn’t exactly a precision cutting device.
I added a couple extra washers on the drivers side between the bracket and the core support. These washers help align the mount on the body with the strange angle Ma Mopar used originally. In the picture on the left, you can see what’s left of the circle that went around the original mount. I left the majority of that metal there to provide reinforcement for this bracket. Better to be overbuilt than underbuilt.
There is a good chance I will take this car for a drive next weekend. We shall see.